Education at Barton has always been closely linked with the Church. In fact the earliest record of a school dates back to 1601 when there were five pupils under the direction of the vicar, Revd Thomas Streacock.
However, formal education in the village remained very irregular until a Sunday School was formed early in the 19th century, when it is reported that there were on average some 40 to 50 regular attenders. This was the only school in the village until the 1840s.
In 1842 the Revd Harding opened a small purpose-built schoolroom on the north side of the churchyard. It was built by public subscription and the Trust Deed of July 23rd 1842 marks the official beginning of Barton School. The introduction of compulsory education in the 1870s led to a public subscription being launched to build a new schoolroom on land donated by the University. The result is the old part of our present building.
Therefore the school is a Church Foundation and is the only Church of England Voluntary Aided School in the area. The Church is the major partner with the Local Authority in the management of the school. In particular its aided status means that the Church appoints two thirds of the members of the Governing Body and provides and maintains the buildings.
In 1981 Barton School also became the primary school for Grantchester, following the closure of the Church school in that village. Our school continues to play an important role in the village of Barton and we maintain close links with Grantchester. We are also pleased to welcome children from Cambridge and many surrounding villages.